An online record of the trials and tribulations of a mother-doctor-foodaholic with low tolerance for deadlines, lego on the floor and carbs.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Baking for the New Year


I started this blog 3 days ago and have only been able to work on it now. Went to Violet Oon's Cakes and Kueh's Class on Saturday. Good class with a ton of people, but at least she gave us little tart pincers to compensate for the squeeze. We did 4 recipes: ang ku kuay (see pix!), pineapple tarts, kueh bangkit and sugee cake.
So here's the sugee cake, labelled by significant other as "the World's Bestest Cake"! Of course, the fact that a whole 250 g block of Golden Churn butter and 8 eggs sit in this cake...







Also did my favourite CNY cookie recipe: Almond dainties. Modified it from 40 year old cookbook that had the baking time 5 times longer than it should be - the first time I made it, I had about a dozen "chao tar" blobs on my cookie tray. But here is the perfected recipe.

Almond Dainties (makes about 60)
250 g icing sugar (sifted)
375 g flour (sifted)
250 g ground almonds
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 beaten egg yolk for glaze
coarsely chopped almonds for topping

1. mix icing sugar, ground almonds and flour
2. make a well in the center and pour in oil. Mix thoroughly
3. shape into balls about 1.5 cm diameter
4. top each ball with a little sprinkle of chopped nuts, flatten the ball slightly with the thumb and glaze top of cookie with the egg wash
5. Bake on non-stick cookie tray for 6 - 8 min at 150 deg C

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I love reading your blog and very impressed with your cooking.

I was reading about your cookery class and the recipes you did in the class. I was wondering if there is a chance of you letting us know the recipe for the sugee cake, you learnt.

Thanks a lot.

Bye

Catherine.

12:52 PM

 
Blogger Hungry Doc said...

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for your kind comments. The sugee cake is one of my happy creations, I think I must have made 3 to give away this CNY. The recipe, however was from the Violet Oon class, and I am not too sure if there is any copyright associated. I swear it must be the brandy that gives it such a lift (hint hint!). Here is her e-mail, however, and you can ask her yourself!

vok@pacific.net.sg

Cheers!

1:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home